McJunkin In Peaceful Pursuits
About the close of the Revolutionary, War Major McJunkin purchased a tract of land in the vicinity in which he was brought up and applied himself assiduously to business as long as physical energy permitted. He raised a large family. His worthy companion lived to an old age. He united with the Presbyterian Church at Brown’s Creek, of which he was for many years a ruling elder.
Some thirty-five years ago the Quaker residents in that section moved off in a body to the Northwest. They sold their place of worship to a citizen who purchased it with a view of moving the building to the plantation for a barn. Before the removal was commenced Majors McJunkin, Otterson, James Dugan, William Hobson and others made arrangements and bought the Quaker meeting house for a place of worship. Religious worship was commenced here by Rev. Daniel Gray, and Cane Creek Church has grown up from that beginning.
Through life he was a peaceable, industrious, enterprising man, & public spirited, upright citizen, a friend to science and a devout Christian.
He died on Sabbath morning, May 31, 1846, near the end of his ninety-first year. He was buried on the day following at his family burying ground, near the road leading from Union to Cook’s Bridge, on Tyger River.