McJunkin Commissioned Captain
In May, 1777, McJunkin received a captain’s commission and was ordered by Col. Thomas to perform a tour of duty on the frontiers. He accordingly took the command of Jamieson’s Fort on South Pacolet River in the vicinity of Hogback Mountain, where he remained three months. After this he spent the balance of the year in scouting. This service, in the circumstance of the country, required him to traverse the country beyond the forts established along the frontiers to watch the movements of the Indians and bring in intelligence to the commanding officer of his regiment. This service, in all cases dangerous and difficult when demanded by the necessities of war, is peculiarly hazardous when the enemy to be watched is sagacious, treacherous and cruel as were the Cherokees in 1777. This important trust was, however, well executed by Capt. McJunkin, whether employed in watching the red men of the wilderness or the white men who united their strength with the foes of their country and fell like beasts of prey upon the persons and property of their fellow citizens.
In the month of June, 1778, Capt. McJunkin was ordered to lead his company to Bacon’s Bridge on Ashley River. In a few days after his arrival orders were received to disband the army. On his return he was again ordered to the frontier, and commanded at Wood’s or Thompson’s Station; the place was known by either of these names. He continued at this station until in February, 1779. It may be proper to remark that prior to the expedition to Bacon’s the Spartan Regiment was divided and another regiment formed called the 2d Spartan Regiment. Thomas Brandon was promoted to the command of this regiment and Capt. McJunkin was comprehended within its limits.